Asulox bracken control has proven itself over many years as the market leading product for controlling bracken.
BREAKING NEWS: Asulox has just been re-approved for handheld use - There are new specific restrictions and a Stewardship scheme in place.
Please See the Table below
Containing the active ingredient Asulam this herbicide controls bracken by being translocated throughout the plant and down to the root. It is the most effective product for controlling bracken
When Asulox is applied there are generally no immediate signs of die back, but the following season there will virtually be no bracken re-growth. It recommended that a programme of follow up sprays are done with Asulox in the following calendar year, as this can greatly extend the period that the land is bracken free.
Asulox is currently only available under an Emergency Authorisation which is reviewed annually. However due to strong support from the Environment Agency and the Butterfly Conservation Trust there is hope that this may be overturned in the future.
Key Emergency Approval Dates for Asulox 2020
|Monday 1st July 2020||
Asulox can start to be used/applied.
Handheld use (knapsack etc) can only be carried out on
'Land designated for Conservation'
All purchasers to complete questionnaire: LINK
|Tuesday 15th September 2020||
Asulox can no longer be sold or applied, but can be stored
Thursday 31st October 2020
Asulox cannot be stored or transported after this date
- Knapsack treatment is suitable where bracken is up to waist height
- Bracken should be treated in full frond (all fronds fully expanded) but before yellowing (start of senescence). Normally this will be within the period from July to late August (early August in Northern Britain)
- The addition of an adjuvant enhance the uptake of ASULOX by the bracken fronds thereby improving reliability under adverse conditions
- We recommended the adjuvant Impetus which should be used at 0.1% of spray volume.eg 20ml Impetus per 20l water
- Asulox use can be visually identified by using Amvista Blue Marker Dye so you can see where you have sprayed. Simply added to the spray tank and mix with the Asulox plus Impetus
- Herbicide symptoms are virtually absent in the year of spraying (due to the onset of senescence)
- The fronds must not be damaged by livestock, frost or by cutting before treatment. Do not treat bracken affected by late frosts (bronzed and stunted fronds)
- At least 6 weeks should elapse between applying Asulox and sowing or planting any subsequent crop
- For best results allow a 24 hours rain-free period after application
- Asulox contains the same active ingredients as previous products Asulam and BrackN
- More information is available on bracken control at the Bracken Control Group
Application notes and guidance:
- Apply on a dry day preferably without rain for 24 hours.
- Knapsack nozzles should be suitable for a medium or coarse spray
- Only one application should be made per year
- The approval for use of Asulox on docks has been withdrawn
- The approval for use of Asulox in weedwipers and drift sprayers has been withdrawn
- Do not cut the bracken or admit livestock for at least 28 days after treatment
Please take time to read our "By Problem" page on bracken control for more information
5,000 (5 L) (m2)
1.24 (5 L) (acres)
|Contains||400 g/L asulam|
|Area of Use||Agricultural, Forestry, Grassland, Horticultural, Moorland|
Using Pesticides Safely
When you buy a professional use pesticide you and/or the end user must ensure that the product is legally used in line with the industries Approved Code of Practice set out by The Food & Environment Protection Act 1985 (FEPA) & Control of Pesticide Regulations 1986 (COPR).
When placing an order for a professional use pesticide you must confirm that you have read, understood and will comply with these regulations.
Use plant protection products safely & always read the label & product information before use.
Need pesticide training? Click here
Hand-held Application Rate
|Bracken||200 ml to 20 L water|
Boomspray Application Rate
|Bracken||11 L/ha in 400 - 500 L/ha water|
Product Usage Calendar
*KEY - Green = suggested period of use
Safety Sheets (MSDS)
Asulox - Bracken Specific Weed Killer is rated 4.10 stars by Progreen Weed Control Solutions customers based on 10 product reviews