MET 52 - 2.5KG - Natural Fungus for Biological Control of Vine Weevil
Met52 Granular is used for the control of black vine weevil in ornamental plant production, and a wide range of soft fruits grown under protection and outdoors.
Met 52 is a granular soil applied contact bioinsecticide that provides annual plant protection, from vine weevil and is effective against all larval stages of Black Vine Weevil when appled shortly before eggs are layed. Met 52 contains a specific strain of a natural insect pathogenic fungus.
It is highly versatile used at all crop growth stages.
Contains: 2% metarhizium anisopliae var. anispliae strain F52 (a minimum of 9 x 1011 cfu/kg).
- Will control vine weevil in open field, substrate and container crops
- Recommended for use on ornamentals and a wide range of soft fruits
- Contains a specific strain of a naturally occuring soil fungus
- No harvest interval needed and no residue is left
- Control of larvae is likely to be greatest in peat-based growing media.
Crops Met52 granule can be used on:
- Blackberry, blackcurrant, blueberry, gooseberry, raspberry, redcurrant, strawberry, whitecurrant - Under protection and outdoors
- Ornamental plants - Under protection and outdoors
- Extensive trials over many years have demonstrated the high efficacy of Met52 granular against Vine Weevil
- A trial in Holland in 2008 found that when pots were infected with 30 Black Vine Weevil per pot and Met52 granular incorporated at 500g/m3 the incidence of BVW remaining was virtually zero
How Met52 granule works
- Granular spores germinate and the fungal hyphae penetrate and grow within the insect
- Insect death usually happens within a few days and a new generation of spores are produced from the dead insect
- Where insects are not present the spores will remain in the soil for many years, without germinating, continuing to provide protection from a single treatment
- Larvae come into contact with Met52 granular spores, these attach to its body and the fungi will grow into the larvae
- Once penetrated into the hemolymph the insect dies
- The process takes from 5 - 7 days
- Hypae may emerge from the larvae and start new spores
- Larvae which come into contact with the new spores will become infected and die
How to use Met52 granules
- Met52 granular is incorporated into soil or growing media at a rate of 0.5 kg/m3
- Incorporate Met52 granules thoroughly into growing media
- Treated growing media should be used within 30 days
- To obtain good control of Vine Weevil larvae in small containers it is particularly important to ensure even mixing of the correct dose into the substrate
- When plants are potted into large containers, the growing media in which they are potted should also have Met52 granular incorporated
- This helps to maintain good control - if not used larvae within the orignal root ball may not be controlled after the re-potting
- When applying to field grown crops, broadcast at a rate of 122 kg/ha immediately prior to planting and incorporate thoroughly into the top 5 cm of soil
- Do not apply to established crops or before planting crops in autumn
- Optimum temperate range for activity is between 15 and 30oC
- Outside temperature may reduce activity but spores still remain viable
- Spores are not killed by cold or heavy frost
- Spores will start to die at temperatures above 40oC
MAPP No: 15168
Using Pesticides Safely
When you buy a professional use pesticide you and/or the end user must ensure that the product is legally used in line with the Approved Code of Practice set out by The Food & Environment Protection Act 1985 (FEPA) & Control of Pesticide Regulations 1986 (COPR).
The person purchasing the professional use product must be satisfied that the end user applying the product is suitably qualified to do so.
When placing an order for a professional use pesticide you must confirm that you have read, understood and will comply with these regulations.
Use plant protection products safely & always read the label & product information before use.
For incorporation into soil or growing media
- Apply at a rate of 0.5 kg/m3
For application to a field grown crop
- Apply at a broadcast at a rate of 122 kg/ha immediately prior to planting and incorporate thoroughly into the top 5 cm of soil