Controlling and getting rid of brambles is one of those jobs that seems like a lot of hard, dangerous work but in reality can be achieved fairly quickly and simply.
Brambles are often little more than overgrown blackberries – also in this family of Rubus plants are: Raspberry, Boysenberry, Loganberry and Tayberry.
The stems can be upright or prostrate along the ground but left to its own devices the thick, spiky stems will curl and twist amongst each other to form an increasingly tall impenetrable barrier. The stems are thick walled with a soft centre with sharp spines or spikes dotted along its length.
Brambles are woody, herbaceous perennials and will grow from an established root system in the ground. Older stems will lose colour gradually from a greeny/ purple and become fibrous or woody.
Brambles flowers are a good source of nectar energy for hoverflies, butterflies and some moth species.
These quick growing plants can outgrow their space quickly and bramble control needs to be planned in advance.
The extensive root system make digging out a job for the JCB digger. Best treatment is done by chopping back the top growth to a low lying stalk – approx. 3-4”/ 10cm and spraying with a weed killer for brambles.
Wait for regrowth with a few sets of new, green leaves then apply a herbicide to kill it down to the roots.
Weed killer for Brambles
The choices for a bramble killer are either a selective spray (to save any grass) or a total weedkiller which can affect any green-leaved plant the spray touches. Both options, below, degrade quickly in the soil so offer no long-term damage to the ecosystem.
Selective weed killer for brambles - Grazon Pro
This is perhaps the strongest bramble killer
- Suitable for grassland / paddock areas
- Apply by knapsack sprayer
- Thoroughly wet leaves to the point of runoff
- Safe for grass
- For Amenity areas see: Garlon Ultra
- Spray foliage to the point of runoff
- Best used in conjunction with an adjuvant: Validate, which makes the spray more efficient by sticking to the leaf and penetrating the thick leaf surface quicker
Amateur / Non-professional weed killer for brambles:
- £54.99 + VAT £65.99 inc VAT
- On Sale
- £14.20 + VAT £17.04 inc VAT
- £49.00 + VAT £58.80 inc VAT
- On Sale
- £21.50 + VAT £25.80 inc VAT